Date Posted: March 30, 2023
Closing Date: April 14, 2023
Reports To: Shift Supervisor
Duration: Full-time, Permanent
The Operations Technician ensures that plant operations are safe, efficient, consistent, and compliant with relevant safety codes, government regulations, and product quality standards. The Operator works in reforming, compression, distillation, water treatment field areas and in utilities and product storage areas, and actively demonstrates knowledge and competence, in the skills acquired.
- Competently carry out the duties and complete identified routines required for safe care and operation of assigned operating areas within the methanol manufacturing plant, in accordance with Alberta Boiler Safety Association (ABSA) power engineering regulations and Methanex operations standards.
- Identify and report process or equipment issues that could interfere with plant safety initiatives and production targets or goals.
- Respond to plant emergencies in a safe and effective manner.
- Communicate effectively with the shift supervisor and operations team members, as well as orientate and train other team members, as required.
- Complete required training activities in accordance with the site Operations Progression, Training and Competency program to support ongoing professional development and advancement as a member of the operations team.
- Demonstrate the Methanex core values of trust, respect, integrity, and professionalism in the execution of the role’s functions, comply with site Responsible Care policies and procedures, and actively participate in associated programs.
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Minimum 3rd Class Power Engineer certification required.
- Active progression towards the next class of Power Engineer certification is an asset.
- A two-year post-secondary diploma in Power Engineering Technology is preferred.
- 5 or more years of experience in a petrochemical plant, refinery, or another related industrial setting, with previous experience in water treatment processes, high-pressure steam generation, or steam/methane reforming being an asset.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and web-based applications.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Customer-focused; dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and listening skills.
- Superior interpersonal and team collaboration skills.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented with strong time management, planning and prioritization skills.
- Independently motivated and results-driven with a demonstrated ability to consistently meet identified goals and achieve results with minimal supervision.
- Capable of resolving issues independently within a changing and evolving work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage ambiguity and stress, including the ability to successfully respond to competing and shifting priorities.
- Independently motivated with a superior ability to maintain focus and work quickly and accurately in demanding circumstances.
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, based on sound judgment and a demonstrated ability to make valuable decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, and experience.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude combined with a strong safety orientation within daily work activities.
Apply for Operations Technician
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.