The business of the Company is conducted by its employees, managers and officers, under the direction of the President and Chief Executive Officer (the “CEO”) and the stewardship and supervision of the Board of Directors.
The responsibilities of directors are described in the Terms of Reference for the Chair of the Board of Directors (PDF).
The mandate of Methanex’s Board of Directors is to oversee and provide policy guidance on the business and affairs of the Company, which includes:
- monitoring overall corporate performance
- overseeing compensation and succession planning for, and performance of, executive officers, including the appointment and performance of the CEO
- adopting a strategic planning process and approving, at least annually, a strategic plan that takes into account, among other things, the opportunities and risks of the business
- evaluating the integrity of, and overseeing the implementation of, the Company’s management information systems and internal controls and procedures
- identifying and overseeing the implementation of systems to manage the principal risks of the Company’s business
- overseeing the implementation of appropriate disclosure controls, including a communication policy for the Company
- developing the Company’s approach to corporate governance
- to the extent feasible, satisfying itself as to the integrity of the CEO and other executive officers and that the CEO and executive officers create a culture of integrity throughout the organization
The Board of Directors has adopted a Board Mandate and Corporate Governance Principles that creates a foundation for the goal-setting, effective decision-making and ethical actions that guides the Company and provides value to the shareholders.
The Board is led by the Chair, Doug Arnell, whose responsibilities are described in the Terms of Reference for the Chair of the Board of Directors (PDF).
The responsibilities of directors are described in the Terms of Reference for Individual Directors (PDF).