Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor
Date Posted: September 15, 2023
Closing Date: September 29, 2023
Location: New Plymouth
To provide an expert health, safety, and environmental advisory service to assist Methanex New Zealand ensure that everyone goes safely home every day and that we minimise our impact on the environment in which we operate.
- Continue to actively foster a positive HSE culture that is based on care for people and the environment.
- Develop and advise on Methanex’s Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems, ensuring continuous improvement and consistency with legislative, Company and good practice requirements.
- Provide timely HSE guidance and recommendations to Leadership Teams and Supervisors.
- Respond to incidents, providing advice and investigation support.
- Maintain the Methanex New Zealand incident management system to ensure a high degree of accuracy and integrity.
- Assess and authorise new chemical applications, ensuring a register is maintained and the hazardous substances management complies with WorkSafe regulations.
- Lead the HSE onboarding process for contractors, facilitating contractor continuous improvement initiatives including participation in contractor engagement and performance monitoring/reviews.
- Provide risk expertise and advice to the business; assessing and managing risk as required to meet Responsible Care objectives.
- Contribute as a member of relevant Methanex Global Team/s.
- Liaise with and build effective relationships with relevant local and national authorities.
- Keep updated and abreast of new legislation, changed legislation or any technical developments that governs HSE management and regulatory requirements to ensure statutory compliance.
- Prepare local and corporate reports on Methanex’s HSE performance and report on Methanex’s HSE performance to regulatory bodies.
- Assist in managing the HSE internal audit programme in conjunction with the Senior Quality Advisor: coordinating schedules, providing meaningful data trends, conducting health and safety audits and improving on effectiveness where possible.
- Maintain the hazard management and environmental effects registers using a consultative process to ensure accuracy, effectiveness, and controls are reviewed against appropriate standards/advice.
- Manage HSE training through developing schedules and ensuring quality and accuracy of robust processes and records.
- Deliver actions as required on the safety action plan.
- Provide expert work safety control systems knowledge, focusing on the work front, audit processes and continuous improvement.
- Formal qualification in OSH preferred
- Qualification in environmental planning, science or similar desirable
- Demonstrated ability to implement a HSE Management system in practice essential
- Formal training in auditing
- Formal training in incident investigation
- Knowledge of relevant New Zealand HSE related legislation and good practice
- Experience in risk assessment and control systems
- Intermediate PC and Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent relationship skills to interface and influence with both internal and external customers
- Strong planning and organisation skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Capacity to exercise sound judgement, initiative and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and adaptive
To apply for this position, click “Apply Now”
Applications close Friday, 29 September 2023 NZT
Please note: Methanex only accepts online job applications that are submitted through our careers page at https://www.methanex.com/careers/current-opportunities
Apply for Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.