Engineering & Projects Lead
Date Posted: August 7, 2023
Reports To: Technical Manager
Manages and is accountable for the multi-discipline team which is responsible for the development of Capital Project portfolio for the Geismar site, using our global Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP), consisting of a stage / gate process approach. Utilizes engineering expertise and secures appropriate internal and external resources are available to ensure work is completed safely, in a cost-effective manner, within budget and on schedule to the standards required.
Manages the preparation, update and maintenance of standards, procedures and relevant documentation related to Methanex USA Capital Projects. Ensures the maintenance, storage and distribution of Mechanical and Piping critical drawings are carried out by the Drawing Office to procedure and standard. Solid understanding of project controls, scheduling, cost estimate and cost controls.
Provides leadership and direction to direct reports. Provides leadership and guidance to all direct, indirect and contract reports as required and during execution of Projects.
Supports the Technical Manager with the preparation and submission of the Capital Plan for the Geismar site.
- Manages multi-discipline engineering related Capital Projects such that the safety, quality, cost and schedule targets are achieved and meet the Capital Plan for the site.
- Implements Projects in accordance with Methanex Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP) Standard and are in compliance with USA legislation.
- Manages the Capital modifications on multi-discipline Projects to meet customer requirements.
- Provides support and advice to the Maintenance Department execution organization, particularly in the area of Project development and execution.
- Obtains producer statements, design verification and statutory approval where required.
- Manages external Consulting Engineering Services.
- Manages the Design Approval process during the development of every Project to ensure input is obtained from the appropriate disciplines and changes are made to the design as required.
- Manage progress, reviews and completion of FEED, detailed design, purchase specifications and construction packages for compliance with statutory requirements, appropriate standards and Methanex procedures.
- Ensures appropriate hazard and risk reviews are conducted and all issues identified are actioned.
- Ensures appropriate reliability reviews are undertaken on Project designs.
- Coordinates the development of procedures and provision of resources for the commissioning of relevant Projects together with Operations.
- Manages the tender and awards contracts in conjunction with Purchasing for FEED and detailed design, preparation of purchase specifications, preparation of construction packages and construction in collaboration with the Maintenance execution team.
- Ensures all Methanex employees and contractors undertaking Project work on the Methanex USA site are effectively supervised such that safety, quality, costs and schedule targets are achieved.
- Provides feedback at the end of each contract on contractor performance to the appropriate sponsor.
- Ensures the systems to develop, maintain and store all engineering drawings and engineering documents by the Document Control Department are in compliance with the Methanex USA procedures and standards.
- Develops and maintains systems and procedures for the control, distribution and storage of all engineering documentation (other than drawings) associated with Methanex facilities including Vendor Manuals, Data Books etc.
- Develops and maintains systems and procedures for the control, review, distribution and storage of appropriate engineering standards/guidelines such that all engineering work is done in accordance with Methanex Loss Prevention Standards and in compliance with USA legislation.
- Develops and maintains systems and procedures for the control, distribution and storage of Mechanical / Piping publications required by Methanex USA.
- Ensures policies and procedures are developed for all drafting services are drafting is conducted in accordance with Methanex USA requirements.
- Ensures all Capital Projects follow the global Engineering Documentation Management System (EDMS) in collaboration with the Information Management Team (Technical).
- Maintains a proper documentation system to file and access documentation related with the progress and completion of the MCMP.
- Leads, supervises and contributes to the Capital Project and Engineering team ensuring provision of effective Engineering support to business.
- Ensures the performance management system is competently applied to all assigned staff to maximize each individual’s contribution to Methanex.
- Improves individual and organizational performance through coaching for success.
- Effectively collaborates with the Maintenance TAR and Execution team for the successful development and execution of all Capital Projects within the site portfolio.
- Ensures employee and contractor compliance with Methanex policies, procedures and applicable standards.
- Involves the team in developing and actioning the annual department plan. Ensures alignment with the Methanex USA Business Plan and Corporate Strategy.
- Effectively communicates current activities and policies.
- Ensures implementation of and compliance with all Methanex HR policies and procedures, including performance optimization.
- Undertakes studies and develops costs and options for Capital Plan development.
- Support the Technical Manager with the preparation and submission of the Capital Plan for the Geismar site.
- Applies the performance management system to all staff to maximize each individual’s contribution to Methanex.
- Ensures a high level of technical skills and plant knowledge within the Projects and Engineering team is maintained.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism.
- Demonstrated through feedback from team and leaders.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contributes to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Technical Department.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution required; Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering preferred. PMP certification considered an asset.
- 10+ years of directly related Project Management experience encompassing all aspects from conceptual development and design through execution, construction and close out.
- 10+ years experience in the Oil and Gas, Refining and/or Petrochemical plant environment involving pressure equipment, rotating equipment and piping design.
- 5+ years leadership experience.
- Experience with all phases of Project Management, including a stage / gate approach for development of projects.
- Solid understanding of Financial principles for Capital projects, project appropriation and project control.
- Solid proven experience on dealing with project portfolio, project controls, schedule and cost estimates.
- Exhibits participation in safety and quality culture in design and construction.
- Computer literacy, including engineering design packages.
- Desired previous experience in:
- Project Management
- Plant Reliability
- Plant Engineering
- Codes and Standards Use
- Procurement and Expediting
- Contract Management
- Cost Estimating / Management
- Statutory Requirements
- Drafting and Document Control
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for Engineering & Projects Lead
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.