Senior Project Engineer – I&E
Date Posted: August 25, 2022
Reports To: Engineering & Projects Lead
The Senior Project Engineer facilitates the development of all capital projects for the Geismar site, including the initial 3 stages of a capital project (Visualization, Conceptualization and Basic Engineering), as well as monitoring the successful completion of the detailed engineering, while ensuring the quality, integrity, safety and regulatory compliance of the Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP).
Leads a small portfolio of projects during the initial stages of the process and supports the Maintenance execution lead with the execution and completion of capital projects once approval of funds is granted. Provides Q/A support to peer Project Engineers on other assigned capital projects.
- Utilizes the Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP) procedure to progress a project from initiation to completion.
- Manages Technical small to mid-sized capital projects from Stages 1 to 3 as per MCMP.
- Supports the execution leads on projects progressing from Stage 4 to close-out as per MCMP.
- Provides Q/A support to other project leads and their portfolios.
- Leads the selection of alternative studies during Stage 2 as per MCMP.
- Manages contract engineering services related conceptual studies and Front-End Engineering Design (FEED).
- Leads the request for funding (AFE) on capital projects assigned as per MCMP.
- Prepares a high-level Schedule during Stage 1 of an assigned project.
- Prepares an Order of Magnitude cost estimate during Stage 1 of an assigned project.
- Supports Schedulers, Cost Estimators or similar roles within the Maintenance execution organization on the preparation of classified cost estimates and detailed schedules.
- Monitors performance of contractor companies to meet with project priorities and minimize schedule delays / cost increases.
- Supports SMT requests related to project engineering issues.
- Utilizes appropriate codes and standards, calculations and specifications.
- Actively promotes compliance with Methanex policies, procedures and applicable standards with engineering, construction and construction support contractors.
- Collaborates with the Technical team in developing and actioning the annual department plan; ensures individual activities align with Geismar business plan and Corporate Strategy.
- Ensures individual compliance with all Methanex HR policies and procedures, including performance optimization.
- Ensures compliance with local regulation requirements regarding pressure equipment, safety and environmental.
- Revises priorities on an on-going basis in response to project needs.
- Leads or participates in project hazard and HAZOP reviews.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contributes to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Technical Department.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism.
- Demonstrated through feedback from team and leaders.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Remains current with all safety and procedural training related to the role.
- Actively participates in the site’s behavioral based safety program, Everyone Owns Safety (EOS), by completing safety observations monthly.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution required; Mechanical and Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Eligibility for membership with the Louisiana Professional Engineering & Land Surveying Board (LAPELS); ability to be registered as an Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (P.E.) if required.
- Minimum of 10 years Engineering experience, as well as previous experience with Project Management required.
- Proficiency with the PMI standards for Project Management and familiarity with stage gate processes for project management.
- Understanding of mechanical/piping engineering and design in a petrochemical environment.
- Knowledge of the petrochemical industry.
- Knowledge of standards and procedures and industry best practice.
- Project management fundamentals.
- Familiarity with industry codes and regulations.
- Safety culture in design and construction.
- Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- AutoCAD competency – considered an asset.
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for Senior Project Engineer – I&E
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.