Control Systems Engineer
Date Posted: January 17, 2024
Reports To: Plant Engineering Lead
Provides expert knowledge, advice and direction to management and co-workers on control systems within Methanex Geismar. Supports Operations and Maintenance daily with advice and actions on DCS, ESD/SIS and controller loop issues.
Manages controls projects using controls engineering expertise and appropriate resources to ensure work is completed safely, in a cost-effective manner, within budget and schedule, and to required standards.
Manages the maintenance and development of standards, procedures and relevant documentation relating to the Methanex Geismar facilities. Ensures the maintenance, storage and distribution of controls critical drawings are properly controlled.
Develops and maintains the design, modification, security and reliability of all process control systems and communication systems used to operate Methanex Geismar production facilities. Ensures control system cybersecurity best practices are followed.
Supports any OPEX and Capital projects which affect control systems in all engineering phases including Pre-FEED, FEED, detailed engineering and commissioning.
• Ensures all assigned controls projects are managed such that the safety, quality, cost and schedule targets are achieved.
• Ensures the assigned projects and plant modifications are implemented in accordance with Methanex Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP) and the plant Management of Change (MOC) process.
• Manages the assigned controls project worklist to meet customer requirements.
• Ensures all scopes of work for assigned controls projects covering detailed design, preparation of purchase specifications and preparation of construction packages are accurate, sufficient and clear.
• Provides controls engineering knowledge and expertise.
• Able to provide guidance on Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) calculations.
• Develops technical memos and provides technical advice and assistance as required to allow the development of detailed engineering scopes of work and designs.
• Ensures appropriate hazard and risk reviews are conducted for assigned controls related projects and all issues identified are actioned.
• Coordinates commissioning of assigned controls projects with Operations.
• Manages the assigned tender and awards contracts in conjunction with the Purchasing team for detailed design, preparation of purchase specifications and preparation of construction packages and construction.
• Ensures all controls related drawings and documentation are controlled according to the Methanex Geismar procedures and standards.
• Provides project support by taking a lead role in Engineering during the design, construction and start-up phases of the project including configuration of DCS, ESD/SIS and PLC software, implementing advanced process control, leading loop checks and control system simulations.
• Responsible for setting up the alarm management system, and the Controls historian.
• Develops and verifies QA/QC documentation for the punch list and turnover packages.
• Provides technical assistance and leads the investigation and correction of incidents related to the control systems.
• Provides control system tuning and control loop troubleshooting services to the Operations group.
• Assists with plant instrumentation issues including AMS, control valve troubleshooting and basic instrument calibration.
• Upholds controls technical excellence for the Methanex USA operations.
• Takes part in TAR Management and Knowledge Management, relevant to control systems.
• Sets and maintains standards for the selection of configurable process control systems and the design, installation and maintenance of the software and documentation.
• Develops and maintains systems to guarantee the security of all system software. Develops and tests recovery plans to restore systems in the event of failure or disaster.
• Develops and maintains maintenance plans to ensure the systems hardware and software are operating with optimal efficiency and reliability.
• Conducts investigations for all system failures and identifies the system modifications, upgrades or changes required to prevent these.
• Provides technical advice and assistance to the I/E Supervisor, I/E Technicians and the Operations Department on configurable control systems.
• Directs the Operations Department in the development of operational procedures relating to configurable systems.
• Maintains an overview of current and future technology trends making recommendations for system enhancements or replacements which are financially justifiable.
• Provides input into strategic plans which address the economic life cycle of installed systems.
• Develops operating budgets for designated areas and proposes capital budget items as required.
• Maintains key relationships with system vendors to ensure specialist services are available when required.
• Ensures Methanex Controls Cybersecurity Policy is adhered to on all control systems.
• Maintains an up-to-date alarm philosophy based on current configuration. Ensures the alarm philosophy is aligned with current standards and best practices.
• Reviews the inhibited alarms, alarm frequency and control system forces on a regular basis. Leads the implementation of engineering solutions to remove the inhibited alarms, reduce alarm frequency and removal of control system forces.
• Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism.
• Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
• Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
• Contributes to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Technical Department.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field; OR equivalent work experience/combined education.
• A minimum of 5 years experience as a Control Systems Engineer, Process Control Engineer or DCS Engineer within the Oil and Gas or Petrochemical industry. Preferred majority of experience spent on manufacturing site(s).
• Strong Controls, PLC and SIS experience.
• Strong diagnostic/fault-finding skills.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• In depth knowledge of standards and procedures and industry best practice.
• Flexible and Innovative.
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for Control Systems Engineer
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals and strive to accommodate anyone who may have specific needs.