Methanex in China provides support for social responsibility programs that promote education and community health and safety.
Community activities have been carried out as follows:
- Offering 14 scholarships and carrying out the "Responsible Care" lecture each year to students at the Taiyuan University of Technology and the Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- Carrying out public safety training courses for primary school students in Beijing each year
- Running a university program for summer internships at Methanex
- Supporting several high school students through the Shanghai Sunrise Foundation
- Establishing a computer lab at the Taiyuan Social Welfare Institute and encouraging students from the Taiyuan University of Technology to volunteer as tutors
- Jointly organizing public open day with Jiangsu Yangtze Petrochemical (JYPC) on June 5, 2015 (World Environmental Protection Day)
- Developing a greenhouse project in a primary school in Shaanxi province through the China Schools Foundation and helping students learn about plant growing and water conservation
- Sponsoring the AICM’s National University Chemistry Video Contest in 2012 and 2013
We also encourage employees to get involved in organizations that provide support to communities in need. For example, in Hong Kong, we have supported the Food Bank and we invited colleagues to volunteer at Food Angel, where they prepared meals and distributed food to individuals and families.
Methanex in China also matches employee donations to organizations responding to natural disasters. This has included more than US$5,500 for the Korean ferry disaster in 2014, US$16,400 for the earthquake in Chile in 2010 and US$57,000 for the May 12, 2008 earthquake in Sichuan.
We strive to be a respected and valued corporate citizen by creating positive and sustainable impacts in the communities where we operate.
Learn more about our global community investments and initiatives.