Date Posted: March 10, 2023
Reports To: Accounting Supervisor
Location: Waterloo (Brussels)
Looking for an interesting job full of challenges in an international company that nurtures its employees’ development and career path? Look no further! We have you covered.
Who are we?
We are Methanex, the world’s largest manufacturer and distributor of methanol.
But what is methanol? Methanol is a chemical compound present in your everyday life, be it in your furniture, car and even solar panels. Plus, it is also an innovative, clean-burning energy solution and is used to power cars, buses, trucks and ships that transport people and goods around the world.
Our global presence means we are active in North America, Asia Pacific, Europe and Latin America. Doing business all around the world does not mean we lose sight of what is important to us: people. Our organization in medium sized regional offices allow us to work in a multicultural environment while still knowing all our employees’ name! Regarding Belgium, our offices are located in Waterloo. From there, our European team oversees the management and administration of Methanex’s sales and logistics operations in Europe.
At Methanex, we hold Responsible Care in high regards. We make sure that our members feel valued and work in a safe environment and that our stakeholders are educated regarding methanol. We also have multiple initiatives linked to environment and social responsibility. If those tickle your interest, you are more than welcome to read our sustainability report and find out more!
Now, if a challenging position dealing with European accounting and taxes sounds interesting to you, this might just be your lucky day as we are currently looking for our next team member!
What position will you have?
You will be a Tax Accountant.
Reporting to the Accounting Supervisor, this role is responsible for the customs/trade compliance activities and responsible for all value added tax reporting in Europe. This position will support the growing compliance activity and assist to meet the company accounting and tax reporting requirements.
What will you actually do?
Your key responsibilities will include:
VAT & Customs Compliance
- Responsible for ensuring customs/trade compliance matters in EU through continuous improvement innovations & best practices; Responsible to follow legislation changes, negotiate and administer agents/brokers contracts.
- Supervise the VAT activities for European entities; Ensure timely submission by Fiscal Advisers of the periodic returns in the different countries (Belgium, United Kingdom, Netherlands, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Sweden).
- Responsible for the submission of Intra stat returns and national statistics in the different European countries.
- Work with local customs brokers ensuring accurate and timely submission of import/export customs taxes documents.
- Lead Oracle transactions coding and solves VAT related issues.
- Lead ad hoc value creation projects (customs origin management, optimization initiatives in customs & VAT activities).
- Perform specific journal entries month-end activities to ensure timely and accurate submission of Financial Statements (Month-end VAT related journal entries, VAT accounts input/output Netting; Reconciliation Turnover and VAT; etc…).
Reporting and accounting activities
- Contribute to fulfil the companies’ accounting obligations responsibilities including financial analysis and periodic reports.
- Performance of specific account reconciliations and general ledger accounts maintenance.
- Contribution to the preparation of financial Annual Accounts and tax returns,
- Assistance with annual audit preparations, and resolution of audit findings, account discrepancies or issues of non-compliance.
- Performance of other accounting duties as assigned.
Internal Controls Compliance
- Support for internal interim, roll forward, and year end SOX testing for the Region.
- Involved in the annual SOX narratives review and update by process owners.
- Cross-train with accounting staff to serve as back-up during absence of team members in Finance Department.
- Business partnering project support like Business development initiatives (Methanol for fuel).
Who are we looking for?
Your experience and hard skills
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or General Business
- 5 to 7 years’ experience with an international company where multiple currencies involved
- Knowledge of Tax regulations and trade compliance rules required
- Good understanding of accounting rules and practice (must have)
- Strong verbal & written skills in English and at least one other European language
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office business applications, ERP systems (Oracle preferred but not required)
Your personality and soft skills
- Accuracy and detail orientated are a must
- Results driven and have a desire to succeed
- Ability to develop strong peer relationships in a dynamic and diverse team environment where teamwork is highly valued
- Proactive to stay up-to-date with legislation and new rules (Tax Accounting)
- Strong sense of consistency, ethics, and personal integrity
What do we offer?
The Methanex company culture enables people to work together towards a shared vision and a “One Team” culture. In addition, we have a multinational environment and a dynamic team which is result driven and caring.
At Methanex, our goal is to grow together. We believe we all have the opportunity to impact the company for the better. Therefore, we are committed to ensuring you have the knowledge, tools, and opportunities to maximize your potential. From internal and global trainings to individual development plan and coaching, we make sure you have the possibility to develop your skills. Through our various internal committees, we also have the opportunity to learn from each other and improve the company together.
Regarding the benefits, we offer a competitive salary package including many comprehensive insurance, meal vouchers, short term incentives and transportation costs. As you better know what you need, we have a flexible compensation plan that allows you to decide on a portion of your salary package. You also get 34 holidays throughout the year to take a well-earned rest!
You feel like this is your dream job and company?
We would be delighted to receive your resume at email@example.com. Although a cover letter is not mandatory, sending one with your motivation for the job would be highly appreciated!
Apply for Tax Accountant
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.