Date Posted: January 9, 2024
Reports To: Production Shift Supervisor
Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of assigned plant area at Geismar to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting the policies, goals and objectives of the company.
• Maintains applicable knowledge of all production, cost and efficiency targets.
• Maintains a continuous overview of plant operation and performance; participates in plant operation troubleshooting for assigned areas of plant.
• Operates safely and monitors assigned areas of plant to support achievement of production targets, yield objectives and product quality specifications at minimum cost.
• Promptly and accurately communicates plant problems to the Panel Operator and service departments, as appropriate.
• Continuously reviews the operation of the plant, anticipating and solving problems in a timely manner and identifying opportunities for improvements.
• Maintains the necessary competencies on assigned areas as required for flexible operation at the Geismar site.
• Coordinates the unloading of process chemicals at site, ensuring the delivery drivers have completed their site induction and are self-unloaders.
• Maintains knowledge of relevant quality, statutory, environmental, safety, Responsible Care and US legislation requirements for assigned areas of plant.
• Maintains a continuous overview of quality performance; participates in plant quality troubleshooting for assigned areas of plant.
• Operates and monitors assigned areas of plant in accordance with quality, statutory, environmental, safety, Responsible Care and US legislation requirements.
• Maintains compliance with the ISO 9001 standard for finished product methanol.
• Participates in the development of systems directed at meeting the goals of the Operations Department.
• Maintains detailed knowledge of the Responsible Care ethics and safe work standards and practices for plant and equipment operation.
• Undertakes prompt action to address any deficiencies or breaches in safe operation.
• Participates in the use of Incident Reporting Procedures and Hazard Identification Systems to recommend changes to practices.
• Adopts approved safe work practices and monitors actions of other team members and contractors to identify any potential safety issues, bringing these to the attention of responsible persons.
• Participates in ensuring the health and safety of the shift team is always maintained.
• Participates in programs and procedures required to ensure plant cleanliness.
• Monitors use and inventories of process chemicals and supplies.
• Maintains all necessary Emergency Response skills.
• Participate on the Fire Brigade and Hazmat teams.
• Maintains knowledge of all relevant emergency response procedures and emergency equipment status.
• Understands emergency situations and evaluates appropriate response techniques.
• Participates in effective and comprehensive emergency training and exercises to assure the shift team is competent to respond to all emergencies.
• Participates in effective and comprehensive emergency response in the event of plant emergencies.
• Maintains site security outside of normal business hours.
• Maintains detailed knowledge of the Methanex Work Safety Control System and all supporting procedures and documentation.
• Monitors and checks the status of permits for assigned plant areas and the adherence to permit and Hazard Identification requirements.
• Authorizes work permits and isolation certificates as per Area Authority responsibilities.
• Facilitates the safe and efficient maintenance of plant by the effective preparation of plant for permitted work.
• Ensures safe and efficient access for maintenance of plant equipment.
• Ensures the prompt identification and notification of incidents.
• Participates in appropriate immediate corrective actions.
• Participates in all assigned incident investigations and assists to develop and implement quality corrective actions.
• Ensures knowledge of the Methanex procedure system and maintains personal awareness of all controlled documents related to the position of Operator as per Document Awareness Reports from Document Management Database and Operations Procedure Awareness.
• Ensures Operations procedures and training manuals are accurate and up to date by participating in the shift review and revision process.
• Participates in the development of new procedures as required to ensure safe and effective plant operation.
• Ensures that assigned plant areas are operated in accordance with accepted strategies and emergency, standard and routine operating procedures at all times.
• Completes daily, monthly and any other routine operating procedure.
• Maintains detailed knowledge of all water, effluent and specifications for assigned plant areas.
• Interprets laboratory test results and determines required actions and decisions, if required.
• Samples and test process streams monitoring any changes or trends.
• Undertakes assigned laboratory work including sampling, testing, analysis and reporting accurately and consistently in accordance with Operations laboratory procedures.
• Contributes to the long-term development of the department by participating as an effective member of the shift team.
• Participates in ensuring shift has competent and effective staff by mentoring and training less experienced shift team members.
• Participates in the development and application of systems directed at meeting the goals of the Operations Department.
• Ensures the use and accuracy of all shift logs, log sheets, sign off procedures, certificates and other documentation and that the relevant recording and filing practices are followed.
• Participates in overtime system to ensure minimum plant staffing requirements are maintained.
• Ensures proper logs of equipment conditions and availability are kept for proper shift hand over.
• Assists in the development of isolation packages for the repair of process plant ensuring that equipment is safe to work on and is isolated and ready for maintenance when required.
• Assists with diagnosing and troubleshooting maintenance related issues.
• Coordinates with Panel Operator and Maintenance Technician to complete work in a timely fashion.
• Monitors all work in assigned area ensuring that it is completed in accordance with the permit to work system and that all hazards associated with the tasks have been identified.
• Participates in projects that improve efficiency and or reduce operating costs.
• Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism.
• Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethics.
• Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
• Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
• Contributes to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Operations Department.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Associate’s Degree or Technical Certificate in Process Technology or other related field; OR equivalent related work experience/combined education.
• Previous relevant industrial work experience (5+ years).
• Distributive Control System (Panel Operator) experience is preferred.
• Knowledge of relevant computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite.
• Excellent communication and documentation skills.
• Current Driver’s license (Class E).
• Proven technical and problem-solving skills.
• Proven effectiveness in working in teams.
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for Process Operator
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals and strive to accommodate anyone who may have specific needs.