Director, Business Development
Date Posted: October 6, 2023
Reports To: Managing Director
The Director of Business Development will provide leadership to identify and execute opportunities to grow and optimize the methanol business in the USA with some support to the Medicine Hat, Canada location as needed. The specific focus areas of the role include:
- Manages large commercial contracts/relationships for the Geismar and Medicine Hat sites while supporting alignment within the North American region.
- Supports the Geismar Finance team in negotiations with major contractors and leveraging synergies to create maximum value.
- Leads the management of right of ways, land leases, land sales and other requests by stakeholders for the use of Methanex’s property and assets.
- Leads the development of opportunities to debottleneck existing USA assets.
- Supports the evaluation/development of brownfield investment in North America.
- Leads the evaluation/development of Low-Carbon Solution (LCS) growth opportunities in North America.
- Identifies and develops commercial/project opportunities to improve the competitiveness of the USA business.
The incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and aligning internal cross-functional resources for a variety of growth/commercial opportunities, building external relationships with several partners, suppliers and key stakeholders, and leading in-depth technical and economic evaluations.
Growth Project Development
- Supports reviewing of any new growth opportunities in North America. Provides the upfront project evaluation, screening and development of new growth opportunities. Works in collaboration with Corporate Development and Low-Carbon Solutions on any higher likelihood of new build opportunities to advance projects from concept through the Methanex Capital Projects Process.
- Identifies and develops growth opportunities at existing North American facilities in collaboration with Manufacturing, Corporate Development and Low-Carbon Solutions teams.
- Coordinates all aspects of project development and ensures multi-functional teams are established and led effectively.
- Develops a firm understanding of the key project value drivers for new methanol capacity in North America including capital costs, gas, logistics, land availability, etc.
- Leads land leasing or selling within North America, in alignment with Corporate Development. This includes the management of existing land arrangements and any support required by the manufacturing team in the use of Methanex land for temporary use by third parties.
- Leads discussions with third parties on the right of ways for the use of Methanex’s assets/facility in North America.
- Leads or supports contract negotiations with project partners and suppliers.
- Leads development of internal financial analysis for existing and new projects.
- Supports the development of required commercial facets of growth projects including feedstock supply, operating services agreements for utilities, land acquisition, etc.
- Supports the acquisition of temporary or long-term agreements for the use of other external stakeholder property.
- Prepares business cases, project budgets and Approval for Expenditure (AFE) for capital projects in alignment with Corporate Development and Low-Carbon Solutions teams.
- Provides formal communication and updates to Methanex leadership teams.
- Participates and leads discussions with external parties on consortiums to deliver services such as utilities and other services to Methanex to manage existing and future business risks. Evaluates the value of such consortiums against existing contracts.
- Manages the use of the Geismar river dock and unloading/storage services to third parties.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect, and professionalism.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contributes to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA.
- A University degree, in an Engineering discipline or in Business Administration.
- An MBA would be an asset.
- At least 15 years of experience in similar industries with global operations, as well as an understanding of what the economic drivers are and how they are influenced.
- Ability to lead the development and execution of growth strategies.
- Proven track record of achievement with developing growth opportunities for multi-nationals.
- Strong commercial acumen and leadership presence.
- Knows methanol or ammonia or related business well from both project and operational perspectives.
- Understanding of global gas, oil and coal markets would be an asset.
- Understanding drivers of success for major capital projects in the commodity chemical industry.
- Innovative and flexible, can demonstrate the application of creative thinking. Demonstrated creative ability and track record of new ideas and identification of growth opportunities.
- Disciplined analytical approach and a solid understanding of accounting, and financial theory.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in building and motivating teams.
- Outstanding communication skills and a track record as a team player who keeps others well informed and who delivers as promised in demanding circumstances.
- Decisive and able to diplomatically manage strategic priorities throughout the global organization. Quickly gain credibility with manufacturing organizations and Global Experts.
- Experience living and working outside of home country and integrating into diverse cultural environments would be an asset.
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for Director, Business Development
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.