2024 Responsible Care Summer Intern
Date Posted: September 11, 2023
Reports To: Responsible Care Manager
Provides assistance to the environmental engineer on the development and ongoing expert advice to Methanex USA Services LLC in all areas of the operation of the Geismar facilities, with particular focus on environmental monitoring and compliance, waste management and reporting programs.
Responsible for assisting the environmental engineer in ensuring the environmental standards of Methanex USA Services LLC are achieved through the continuous development, improvement, implementation and maintenance of Methanex’s environmental monitoring and compliance procedures.
- Assists the Environmental Engineer in maintaining environmental aspects of the Methanex risk register.
- Works with the Environmental Engineer on requirements for further risk assessment, as appropriate.
- Maintains professional knowledge and awareness of technical developments in the management of environmental hazards.
- Benchmarks with industry and Methanex peers to identify industry best practice and determine suitability.
- Promotes environmental awareness and compliance through communication and training of environmental programs.
- Develops and implements Responsible Care© training packages ensuring all employees are trained in and understand the Responsible Care ethic and Environmental Management System requirements.
- Responds to environmental incidents, providing advice and investigation support.
- Proactively looks for continuous improvements to Methanex environmental controls to ensure continuous reduction in environmental risks.
- Maintains environmental procedures.
- Supports regular environmental monitoring to ensure that Methanex complies with all statutory requirements.
- Assist in the development of reports on Methanex’s environmental performance to regulatory bodies, providing all required data and information.
- Assist the Environmental Engineer on the development of permit modifications as needed.
- Participates in regulatory agency inspections.
- Will assist the Environmental Engineer as the New-Chemicals on-site administrator.
- Develops knowledge of and assists the Environmental Engineer on the handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Works with the Environmental Engineer on the development of an annual environmental internal audit plan that meets the requirements of ISO 9001 and the Methanex Global Level II audit program.
- Assists the Environmental Engineer and the RC Quality Assurance (RC/QA) Coordinator with the coordination of the internal audit team to achieve the requirements of the audit plan.
- Participates in internal audits.
- Provides assistance to the Environmental Engineer ensuring closeout of audit action items.
- Participates in supplier qualification audits, as needed.
- At the direction of the Environmental Engineer, provides coordination on the handling and disposal of waste material.
- Ensures the appropriate records for waste management and disposal are maintained.
- Works with the Environmental Engineer and Operations to ensure effective compliance with air permit requirements.
- Works with the Environmental Engineer and Operations to ensure effective compliance with water permit requirements.
- Assists with water sampling and analysis to meet permit requirements.
- Assists the Environmental Engineer on maintaining the Geismar site work process and procedures for compliance with the LDAR regulatory requirements.
- Assists in the management and coordination of the contract company providing LDAR monitoring services.
- Provides assistance on the LDAR reporting process.
- Assists in the delivery of training on environmental compliance to Methanex employees and contractors on topics such as permit limitations, waste segregation, release reporting and other relevant topics.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism, demonstrated through feedback from team and leaders.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contributes to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Responsible Care Department.
- Pursing Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, or related field, from an accredited institution.
- Completed Sophomore (second) year of Engineering discipline at start of internship.
- Developed interpersonal skills and ability to liaise appropriately with internal and external clients, agencies and stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility and adaptability.
- Ability to work within in a team environment as well as independently, with minimum supervision.
- Capacity to exercise sound judgment, initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Competent user of standard computing packages (e.g. Microsoft Office).
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for 2024 Responsible Care Summer Intern
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.