2024 Graduate in Training – Process Engineer
Date Posted: September 11, 2023
Reports To: Process Engineering Lead
The Graduate in Training – Process Engineer role is a growth and career development opportunity within Methanex and the Engineering job family. Whilst the Graduate in Training (GiT) Program focus is on providing graduates with the knowledge and skills for the technical elements of the role, the program also provides graduates cross-functional assignments. The GiT will rotate to different departments for exposure to the entire engineering function and processes, as well as the wider Methanex business operation.
The Process GiT provides effective process and utilities engineering services to Methanex Geismar in order to achieve daily operational excellence and to drive down unit cost of production, improve production capability, and/or minimize overall risk of harm to people, risk of harm to the environment or risk of lost production.
- Supports the Lead Process Engineer or designate to ensure that an effective Process Engineering service is consistently provided to the Operations Department in order to achieve daily excellence in the areas of plant operation, reliability, safety, productivity, efficiency and plant change.
- Provides process engineering support for plant changes using the Plant Change Request procedures. Acts as a PCR leader for specified PCRs and is an active team member of specified project teams dealing with major plant changes.
- Identifies, evaluates and executes continuous improvement opportunities to drive down unit cost of production, improve production capability and/or minimize overall risk of harm to people, the environment.
- Participates in hazard/risk reviews required for all plant changes. Acts as a leader at review meetings for projects in line with experience.
- Works within the MOC (Management of Change) process for engineering changes.
- Monitors and collects equipment and plant performance data during equipment and plant start-up.
- Checks new equipment against performance specifications and reports on the same.
- Checks plant performance against heat and material balance specifications and reports on the same.
- Reviews Technical and Operating procedures to achieve competency in the process.
- Checks P&ID design pressures against stamped drawings and datasheets.
- Works with the Process Engineering group to run the equipment monitoring reports and create PI tags to record results.
- Utilizes the Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP) procedure to progress a project from initiation to completion.
- Ensures compliance with the requirements of PSM to minimize overall risk of harm to people, harm to the environment or loss prevention through timely close out of assigned PSM element corrective actions.
- Assists as required to improve the safety in design performance of Methanex USA through application of learning from incidents at other sites.
- Participates in the Methanex Injury Reduction Process (IRP).
- Supports the culture and initiatives of reliability within the Technical team and provide necessary support to Maintenance Reliability focus.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism, demonstrated through feedback from team and leaders.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Participates in organized social responsibility projects.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contribute to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Technical Department.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution required; Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to liaise appropriately with internal and external clients, agencies and stakeholders at all levels.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility and adaptability.
- Ability to work within in a team environment as well as independently, with minimum supervision.
- Capacity to exercise sound judgment; initiative; and problem-solving skills.
- Competent in working with process engineering software packages such as HYSYS.
- Competent user of standard computing packages (e.g. Microsoft Office).
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for 2024 Graduate in Training – Process Engineer
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.