2024 Graduate in Training – Mechanical Engineer
Date Posted: September 11, 2023
Reports To: Engineering & Projects Lead
The Graduate in Training – Mechanical Engineer role is a growth and career development opportunity within Methanex and the Engineering job family. Whilst the Graduate in Training (GiT) Program focus is on providing graduates with the knowledge and skills for the technical elements of the role, the program also provides graduates cross-functional assignments. The GiT will rotate to different departments for exposure to the entire engineering function and processes, as well as the wider Methanex business operation.
The Mechanical GiT performs engineering tasks for assigned Mechanical/Piping Projects, using Mechanical engineering expertise and appropriate resources to ensure that work is completed safely, in a cost effective manner, within budget and schedule and to the standards required.
Ensures compliance in all assigned project related activities to standards, procedures and relevant documentation relating to the Methanex USA facilities.
- Ensures that all Mechanical/Piping and related Project engineering safety, quality, cost and schedule targets are achieved.
- Ensures projects are implemented in accordance with Methanex Project Standards, procedures and are in compliance with USA legislation.
- Ensures that all Mechanical / Piping Project functions are integrated effectively across all relevant work groups.
- Develops scopes of work for Mechanical / Piping Projects covering detailed design, preparation of purchase specifications and preparation of construction packages.
- Obtains producer statements, design verification and statutory approval where required.
- Ensures all projects undertaken which result in changes to the plant are approved through the site Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Contributes to studies and assists in developing costs and options for Capital Plan development.
- Provides effective Mechanical / Piping engineering services.
- Contributes to the Design Approval process on assigned projects to ensure input is obtained from the appropriate disciplines and that changes are made to the design as required.
- Participates in the review of detailed design, purchase specifications and construction packages for compliance with statutory requirements, appropriate standards and Methanex procedures.
- Ensures that appropriate hazard and risk reviews are conducted and that all issues identified are actioned.
- Ensures appropriate reliability reviews are undertaken on Project designs.
- Contributes to the development of procedures and provision of resources for the commissioning of relevant Projects together with Operations.
- Ensures all Methanex employees and contractors undertaking assigned project work on the Methanex USA are effectively supervised such that safety, quality, costs and schedule targets are achieved.
- Helps to ensure that the systems to maintain and store Mechanical / Piping drawings by the Drawing Office are in compliance with the Methanex USA procedures and standards.
- Utilizes the Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP) procedure to progress a project from initiation to completion.
- Manages Technical small to mid-sized capital projects from Stages 1 to 3 as per MCMP.
- Supports the execution leads on projects progressing from Stage 4 to close-out as per MCMP.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism, demonstrated through feedback from team and leaders.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Participates in organized social responsibility projects.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contribute to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex USA as an effective member of the Technical Department.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution required; Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to liaise appropriately with internal and external clients, agencies and stakeholders at all levels.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility and adaptability.
- Ability to work within in a team environment as well as independently, with minimum supervision.
- Capacity to exercise sound judgment; initiative; and problem-solving skills.
- Competent in AutoCAD.
- Competent user of standard computing packages (e.g. Microsoft Office).
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for 2024 Graduate in Training – Mechanical Engineer
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.