Reporting to the VP, Corporate Development, the Director, Strategy leads the global strategy function. This role has responsibility over the corporate strategy process, corporate and asset level valuation models, and supports strategic evaluation of growth opportunities for the company.
Accountable for leading the strategy process for the corporation and for developing and communicating the Corporate Strategic Plan
- With the Manager of Strategy, coordinate the development of discussion materials that will be used as basis of the annual strategy discussions with the Executive Leadership Team (ELT)
- Lead and facilitate the ELT strategy session, including development of key outcomes of the meeting.
- Prepare the ELT and facilitate the annual Board of Directors strategy workshop. Facilitate alignment on key strategic initiatives (Strategic Plan) for the company to focus on.
- Support development of the annual strategy communication documents for employee communication
- Define timelines and topics to discuss during the annual strategy process, communicate requirements to key contributors and stakeholders, and lead the identification and analysis of key strategy themes.
- Deliver high quality discussion materials for the ELT Strategy Session and Board Strategy Workshop.
- Write the Strategic Plan including findings of the Board's Strategy Workshop
- Work with the Manager of Strategy to develop and deliver the employee strategy presentation.
- Coordinate the update of strategic initiatives on a quarterly basis.
Supports valuation analysis for the company and individual assets
- Work with Analysts in the Corporate Development team to manage the Corporate Model, including providing regular updates, ownership of underlying assumptions, and alignment with other stakeholders of the model.
- Coordinate with outside consultants and bankers when assessing or reviewing valuation work.
- Responsible for various valuation analyses requested by other groups in the company. Some examples include:
- Valuation of plant assets for tax
- Impairment test valuations
- Asset valuations for potential M&A transactions
- Work with Corporate Development Analysts to update Corporate Valuation Model with inputs from various functions within the company (e.g., operations, marketing, finance).
- Be able to assess the accuracy of valuation results before communicating to others.
- Work with outside consultants and third parties to ensure robustness of valuation assessments. Be able to defend assumptions and valuation techniques.
- Identify, develop alignment, and implement potential improvements to valuation analyses and processes.
- Present valuation results to Sr. Leaders and Board of Directors as requested.
Provide leadership on industry strategy topics and projects that impact company competitiveness and growth opportunities
- Provides commercial and analytical expertise to our continuous development of a pipeline of growth opportunities.
- Work independently and as part of teams to represent the company with external parties to prospect and develop growth opportunities or to negotiate and enhance our existing business.
- Lead in developing strategic analyses on themes that could impact our industry.
- Works with Marketing & Logistics organization to update database of new plants to understand global competitiveness and opportunities for growth.
- Works independently and as part of project teams to complete key components of major projects. (e.g., evaluation of suitability of locations for plant development, evaluation of options and negotiation of major supply agreements such as oxygen, utilities supply, other supply arrangements)
- Perform in depth analyses of various strategic items and participate on teams to address strategic issues (e.g., Activist Investor Defense strategy, long-term methanol pricing, impact of various Sustainability initiatives, etc.)
- Will perform special investigations related to targets (acquisition, merger, diversification)
Education and/or Professional Designation
- Business, Engineering, or related university degree
- CFA or MBA with relevant experience in similar function
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge
- At least 12 years of experience in similar industries and global operations, with an understanding of what the economic drivers are and how they are influenced.
- Expert financial skills, financial modeling, analysis, tax, valuation.
- Disciplined analytical approach and solid understanding of accounting, and financial theory.
- Significant knowledge and international experience in the methanol or similar business.
- Experience with energy analysis (natural gas, coal, and oil) and with drawing conclusions from the disparate sources of information available.
- Proven commercial and project development experience.
- Experience in leading senior teams.
- Strong strategic planning skills and experience.
- Excellent understanding of valuation and related financial concepts.
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.