Reporting to the VP, Corporate Development, the objective of this position is to:
- Provide senior project analysis and commercial skills to support our global growth, strategy and operations. It is expected that this position will be assigned difficult projects that require the ability to quickly identify and resolve key issues.
- Transfer knowledge continuously to accelerate the progress on prospecting for new growth projects with a particular focus on ensuring that Business Development resources located outside of Vancouver have ready access to Corporate Development expertise.
Provides commercial and analytical expertise to our continuous development of a pipeline of growth opportunities.
- Works independently and as part of project teams to complete key components of major projects (e.g., evaluation of suitability of locations for plant development, evaluation of options and negotiation of major supply agreements such as Oxygen, utilities supply, other supply arrangements.)
- Representing the company in initial investigations with governments, economic development agencies and regulators.
- Leadership in the negotiation of Memo of Understanding/Terms and Conditions and definitive agreements regarding various commercial arrangements and investment opportunities.
- Provides strategic leadership on key initiatives including ensuring that necessary internal resources from other functional areas and any external consultants are available to support projects.
Performs project investigations, and project development as requested. Is expected to quickly identify and recommend or carry out strategies to resolve issues present in assignments. Will apply extensive Methanex experience to develop novel solutions and to identify potential pitfalls.
- Provides senior economic and commercial skills for the evaluation of potential projects.
- Leading robust evaluation and negotiation of options at time of major contract renewals.
- Works with business leads to enable their success with efforts to invest in new areas.
- Manages and leads completion of defined projects.
- Determine risks, value opportunities, priorities, counterparty preferences etc. in establishing negotiation strategy for assigned projects.
- Lead the development, preparation, execution and reporting of due diligence initiatives.
- Identify and coordinate necessary internal and external resources (e.g., consultants who can deepen our understanding of feedstock supply in markets we are assessing).
Strategy development and enhancement. Applies extensive knowledge of Methanex and our strategy to identify areas where we may have enhancement opportunities.
Example of activities and projects in this area:
- Perform research of key new and developing issues and develop recommended position with respect to all underlying assumptions (i.e., energy, market structure, feedstock).
- Continuously contribute to Corporate Development and to strategy development by maintaining and reviewing developing trends in feedstock and energy markets as they may impact Methanex.
- Carries out investigations to test key assumptions (capital costs, feedstock values and availability, construction and environmental standards, and other key factors influencing our ability to invest in growth).
- Identify, select and manage delivery from consultants for a variety of assignments.
Acts as a mentor and coach to help new BD resources to learn and apply key skills and to understand our business so as to enable their effective on boarding and accelerate our progress on prospects.
- Works closely with existing business development resources in region to provide additional knowledge such as the engagement of the appropriate experts or sharing of prior learning from existing previous work.
- Travel and attend key meetings and identify enabling factors for each project.
Contribute to overall management and administration of the Corporate Development Department.
- Contribute to and implement corporate and departmental strategies.
- Contribute to the overall management and administration of the Corporate Development department and positively contribute to the achievement of the Corporate Development mandate.
- Participate actively in any Corporate Development Department Meetings.
- Provide input to the annual Corporate Development planning, budgeting and talent management processes.
- Contribute to the team by demonstrating, in all interactions, respect, integrity, ethics, trust and professionalism; welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to add value to Methanex; and helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
Education and/or Professional Designation
- Related University Degree.
- CFA designation.
- MBA, CA, CMA an asset.
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge
- At least 12 years plus analytical and commercial experience in similar industries with global operations, with an understanding of what the economic drivers are and how they are influenced. Will ideally have several years of experience within Methanex in a combination of Commercial and Analytical roles within Corporate Development.
- Disciplined analytical approach and solid understanding of accounting, advanced financial theory and thorough knowledge of DCF analysis and other valuation tools.
- Sound understanding of financial modelling, Methanex’s valuation approaches and the key drivers of value in the methanol business including tax.
- Expert knowledge of Excel and strong knowledge base of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.